GZip compression on COREBlog entries
In order to speed up download time and save some bandwidth I've now setup gzip compression for some of my weblog pages. I really hope this works for everyone. If you discover something that does not work, drop me a note. Setting this up in COREBlog was quite easy, all it needed was one line of dtml
<dtml-call "RESPONSE.enableHTTPCompression(REQUEST)">to be added to the templates in question. The effect on some of the bigger "pages" is impressive: A big category page can go down from 140kB to 40kB. The page feels quite speedy too (client on ADSL, though I assume on a modem line the speedup will be even more noticeable).
On a sidenote: I have added a category "zope", in order to get the size of the category pages a bit down. I will later move some of the "digital" entries to this category. Last step will then be to set up batching ([previous page] / [next page] links) on category/month templates.